Thursday 9 June 2011

Favourite Sample Uses Part 1

I've decided that as a regular feature of this blog I'll just post up my favourite examples of sampling of any genre and why I rate them.

First up is J Dilla's Waves which is based largely around a sample of 10cc's Johnny Don't Do It

This track for me stands up so well for a number of reasons:

Firstly he's managed to take a track I would never think of using. It's super cheesy as far as I'm concerned and it's just from a band that personally I would never go for if I was to try make a beat like this.


Secondly it's just so far removed from the original. The way the sample has been used is so creative and the arrangement of the track in general is completely on point.

Last of all it's just very well produced as a track. The mixdown is excellent and it's just got that great sound Dilla brings on every one of his productions.

Just an all round great use of a sample.

What do you think

Here they are for reference if you don't know them.

This:

Becomes this:

1 comment:

  1. It's a total vibe switch up. Donuts is full of so many amazing samples.

    ReplyDelete